Savory Bread Cases
A day well-spent with like-minded lady!
Last week before I stepped into a weekend storm, I had a lovely friend visiting me at my place… Good that she spared a day out from her busy schedule and came over with her little kiddo, whom I call ‘Muffin Boy’ ;) Well, I didn’t have to cook much on the day… for brunch or lunch or evening tea as she was on a strict vegan-diet. But then I made her a bowl full of salad along with some hot wintry drink! We had too many things planned for the day i.e. some sugar-work, cupcake frosting, sipping on a cuppa tea, listening to good music etc. etc…. and what all we did wassssss – Chitchating for hours and experimenting on ice shards for a special frozen theme cake <3
Well well… not only that! She brought me a lovely heart shaped brownie slab, which of course didn’t last longer than 2 days ;) And a super-duper cookbook of summer cooking!!! Now if you’re a regular reader, you must be knowing that I’m not a fan of collecting cook-books and cooking out of it… But it didn’t happen this time!
I got some time yesterday to go through it… and got an idea (on 3rd or 4th page itself) to try out these savory appetizers (or finger food or evening snack, whatever you call it as)!!! I had to use my idea of stuffing as one in the book was non-vegetarian ;) Here you go with a recipe….
And yes, thanks Remya for a lovely gift!!! <3
6 Bread Slices (I used multigrain)
1/2 cup Boiled Chickpeas
2 tbsp Chopped Capsicum
1 Green Chilly, finely chopped
2 tbsp Boiled Corn
1/4 Onion, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tsp Peri-Peri or Sauce of your choice
1/2 tsp Mustard Sauce
1 Garlic Clove, chopped or minced
1 tsp Italian Herbs Mix
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt, to taste
1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Cut bread slices into big round disks and spray those with oil on both the sides.
- Arrange in a cupcake tray and bake on 180 degrees for around 10-12 mins (or until lightly crisp).
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic, green chilly into it.
- Saute for a while and add onions, capsicum and corn into it. Cook for about a min.
- Add rest of all ingredients and mix everything well.
- Cook it for a min or 2 and take it off the heat.
- Put a tablespoon (or a bit more) of this mixture into each case.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top (if you’re not on diet) ;)
- Bake for 7-8 mins or until cheese melts.
- Serve hot :)
- Adjust the amount of spicy kick according to your taste. I used 1 green chilly only and that made me cry, starting from 1st bite :P
- Also, you can use red or yellow bell pepper and your choice of beans too.