Mixed Dal with Methi
I was missing Tanu‘s posts n clicks for more than a month!!! Didn’t msg her thinking she might not be accessing often during her stay in India. Even though I got to know her a few months back only, we have been like buddies who bug each other almost anytime of the day! Sharing recipes, pics, everyday cooking n random chit-chats happen on day-to-day basis now :P Of course, she’s my 1st guest (Food Lover’s Own World) here n I, being a big fan of her photography (not only with respect to food) follow her blog regularly… I keep waiting for a new recipe to be posted there, and I take a closer look on recipe if it’s vegetarian :P
She posted this dal as her ‘come-back’ post n I immediately penned down the ingredients in a piece of paper… I decided to make that comforting mixed dal with methi flavor for dinner on the same day! Even informed about it to her by msg too… :P Aaah, yes.. I altered her recipe a bit to set my taste-buds n here it is…
3/4 cup Mixed lentils
1/2 cup Onion, finely chopped
1/2 Tomato, chopped
2 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1 tbsp Kasoori Methi
1 tbsp Fresh Methi
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Powder, roasted
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp Cooking Oil
1 tsp Ghee
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash and soak mixed lentils in plenty of hot water for around 2-3 hours.
- Drain excess water and pressure-cook them with fresh water for 3 whistles.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan and add cumin seeds.
- Once it crackles, add chopped onions along with ginger-garlic paste. Cook it for while until onions are soft.
- Add chopped onions with fresh methi and all the spices. Mix everything well and cook it for 2-3 mins.
- Mix cooked lentils in it and add palm-crushed kasoori methi.
- Cook it covered for around 5-7 mins.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or roti!
- I don’t much prefer adding green chillies, so eliminated it from original recipe.
- Fresh methi I used here for taste and kasoori methi for aroma :)
- Also, you can check out my upcoming post on khooba roti, which I served along with this mixed dal!!!