How many dishes you have in your list of comfort food? How many of them you make often? And how many of them you count as your family favorites?
I certainly have a long list… But a few of them always stay on top of that list! They rule my kitchen always… One such gravy/subzi that is the most favorite, most comforting one is ‘Rasavalu Bataka nu Shaak‘ aka Aloo Rassa!!! All gujjus have their special recipe to make it sweet and sour at the same time :) And I make it a bit more tangy with sweet touch :) When I want to have something very simple in dinner or when I don’t want to eat much or even when I’m tempted to make something soothing, my first choice is always ‘Aloo Rassa’ :) So there’s no specific day or mood that I need for cooking it… Out of all basic Aloo preparations, this one is our favorite to have with a bowl of khichdi :)
It’s quick, simple and 100% delicious… Absolutely a kathiyawadi style, the one you get served in one of the small bowls of Gujarati Thaali!!! :)
2 Medium Potatoes
2 tbsp Diced Tomatoes
2 tsp Amchoor Chutney
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
A pinch of Hing
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1 tbsp Cooking Oil
Salt, to taste
3/4 cup Water
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pressure-cooker directly and add mustard seeds in it.
- Once it splutters, add cumin seeds along with hing and let it crackle well.
- Add diced potatoes and tomatoes with amchoor chutney and all the spices.
- Add water in it and mix everything well.
- Close the lid properly and pressure-cook it for 3-4 whistles.
- Serve hot with khichdi or phulka roti :)
- You can use lemon juice as a substitute for amchoor chutney.
- Also, can be garnished with lots of chopped coriander.