Panipuri with Ragda
Do you think it needs an introduction at all??!!! ‘Puchka’ of Kolkata, ‘Gol Gappe’ of Delhi n ‘Panipuri’ of Gujarat… Doesn’t matter what you call these tiny puffed crispy balls, it’s something I can have anytime of the day… or even at midnight :P
Word ‘hygiene’ never comes in my mind when I see a roadside stall of Panipuri! And eating one plate is never enough to satisfy my tastebuds. Me n one of my childhood buddies used to go together for having a plate of two of these yummy, tangy, spicy street food, but it’s been more than 2 years since I tasted it outside :( Now whenever I feel like having it, I plan it in-house only. And how I enjoy spreading everything on table… Ragda/Chana masala, tangy chutney, yogurt, sev, chopped onions, pudina pani, chat masala n puffed puris on table!!! I literally behave like a panipuri wala bhaiya that time… I love serving n eating that way only, after all that’s how I grew up eating ;)
This time I’ve made ‘Ragdewali Panipuri’ with rest of all condiments linked! Here is a recipe to make spicy n tangy ‘Ragda’ :)
1 cup Dried White Peas
1 Potato, boiled & mashed
1 Garlic Clove, minced
2 Green Chillies
2 tsp Jaljeera Powder
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup Water
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Soak white peas in plenty of water for 3-4 hours and pressure-cook for 4 whistles.
- Finely chop onion, tomato and green chillies and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel and add cumin seeds in it.
- Once it crackles, add minced garlic, chopped onion and green chillies. Saute for 2 mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cooked white peas and water along with all spices.
- Mix everything well and cover it with a lid.
- Cook for 5-6 mins on medium flame.
- Pour lemon juice after turning off the gas and mix well.
- Enjoy this hot ‘n’ tangy ragda!
- Assemble this ragda with puffed balls (puris) and Amchur Chutney, Pudina Pani for a complete ‘Panipuri’ package :)
- Recipe for ‘Chana-Potato Masala’ will be posted soon as an alternate to ragda!
- Ragda can also be served with:
– Aloo Tikki
– Matar Chaat