I was going through the list of starters and snacks I have posted so far on this page and realized that a simple, childhood favorite cutlets aren’t there yet! Oops… did I really miss to post it in all these 5 years of blogging??!!!
Well, it’s something I used to love as a kid… why? Let me tell you… in those years, there was hardly any gujju wedding where they didn’t serve veg cutlets on the menu :P I used to skip eating everything else… and gobble up a few cutlets only ;) And it hasn’t changed till date… You give me a plate of cutlets and I’ll leave everything aside to eat those!!!
p.s. I had planned serving these cutlets on my dinner plate that evening.. and unfortunately, we ate it all before time with a cup of tea only! I didn’t have any left even to take a dinner plate’s picture :( Anyways, here is how I make it…
2 Potatoes, roughly mashed
10 French Beans (fansi), finely chopped
1 Carrot, grated
1/2 cup Cabbage, shredded
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Amchoor Masala
1-1.5 cups Breadcrumbs
1-2 tbsp Plain Flour
1/4 cup Water
Salt, to taste
Oil, for shallow-frying
Tomato Ketchup, to serve
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and add all veggies except potatoes and saute them for a while.
- Transfer it to a bowl and add mashed potatoes along with the spices.
- Mix everything well and make sure you don’t mash the potatoes completely.
- In a small bowl, take plain flour and water together.
- Whisk it quickly to make a lump-free batter.
- Spread breadcrumbs in a plate and season it with salt and pepper (only if you wish).
- Make tikkis (or balls) out of the potato mix and dip them in plain flour batter.
- Roll them in breadcrumbs properly and arrange them aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan (or griddle) and shallow fry these tikkis until crisp and golden brown in color on both the sides.
- Serve hot with ketchup!!!
- Typical gujju wedding cutlets comes in heart shapes, which I actually love. But didn’t have a perfect mould/cutter for the same so I went ahead making them round.
- You can add finely chopped onions too while sauteeing the veggies. I skipped!!!