How I love munching pakoras!!! Anytime n everytime… I don’t make it often though. It’s something that we don’t miss to have once in 2 weeks or so… And I absolutely enjoy eating those! As I have said many times before, cut off the calories from some other meals or go for a longgg walk… but I don’t prefer to eliminate any sort of food from my list of favorites :)
Well, I made these pakoras when I had nothing else on hand. I wanted to have mix vegetable ones but didn’t have enough vegetables available that day! so I went ahead and soaked some poha and thinly sliced onions ;) Bang… I quite liked the crunchy bit that poha added!!! Here you go with a quick recipe…
1/4 cup Poha, soaked & dried
1 Onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup Gram Flour (Besan)
1/4 cup Fine Semolina
2 tsp Ginger-Green Chillies Paste
1 tsp Coriander Seeds, freshly ground
1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
Red Chilly Powder (optional)
1 tsp Coriander Powder
3/4 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Ajwain
A pinch of Haldi
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
Salt, to taste
Oil, to deep-fry
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- The simplest way… Mix all the ingredients (except soda) together in a big bowl.
- Add water as need to make a batter of dropping consistency.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add baking soda at the end and give a quick mix to make the batter fluffy.
- Use your 3 fingers & thumb to make fritters but be careful while doing it. You can use 2 spoons too ;)
- Deep-fry until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with any of your favorite chutneys!!!
Oh my goodness these look delicious!!! :)
They look mouthwatering… I can understand, sometimes that craving just hits and then you find nothing to satisfy the craving… A nice and easy one dear…