I hardly have worked with super-blends aka whole grains! When I got a pack of Pearl & Black Barley from McKenzie’s, I wasn’t too sure what I’ll do with it. Well, what’s better than having an evening snack? And the best when it’s quite healthy!
Had a plan to use a big bag of potatoes in different ways so thought of making some patties to have with chai, on a rainy day! but then twisted it a bit to use this pack :P And it came out very well…
I quite liked the crunch it added to patties… And I must say, pressure-cooker worked the best for me! Luckily, I have more than enough barley for trying out some soups and casseroles in a few days ;) But for now, here you go with the recipe!!!
2 Potatoes, boiled and mashed
1/2 cup Barley (I used McKenzie’s mix of pearl n black barley)
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Green Chilly Paste
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1/2 tsp Amchur Powder
1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt, to taste
A few sprigs of Mint
Chat Masala, to sprinkle on top
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Pressure-cook barley for 2-3 whistles or until tender (but not mushy).
- Drain excess water and pat-dry using a kitchen towel.
- Mix cooked barley and mashed potatoes in a bowl and add all the spices into it.
- Add finely chopped mint leaves into it.
- Combine everything well and divide it in 10-12 equal patties.
- Heat oil in a flat/grill pan and roast these patties for a few mins until you see golden crust on each side.
- Sprinkle chat masala and some chopped mint leaves.
- Serve hot!
- I used pressure-cooked for a quick process. Alternatively, you can steam it or cook it in open-pot too.
- You can use red chilly powder to replace green chilly paste, in case if you can’t handle spices!