If I invite friends over the dinner, I make sure that not to do any blunder in the kitchen as that’s not the right time for experiments :P I do plan a few days in advance! I pen down all the dishes to be cooked, prepare a list of ingredients and then think about serving plates (or crockery & cutlery)… On the day, I roll my sleeves up, wear an apron (with hubby’s gentle reminder) and get all required pans/pots/spatulas on kitchen top! Even though I feel I’m good at a planning thing, always used to feel rushed in last minutes :P
But that’s how it is! Hubby always consoled me with all his findings… i.e. I get hyper-tensed about the things to go flawlessly, I work under pressure, I always plan cooking a RajBhog (too many dishes), good buddies are coming only and much more… As I’ve always believed in learning from my own mistakes… I’ve improved a lot in all these years!
But a few things never go away… I keep thinking about what I’ll make next time, even if there’s no get-together coming soon :P Recently while going through my Appetizers/Snacks, I felt like I haven’t posted anything new since long! Since I found a few leftover bread slices, I made these cute balls… And I’m sure to make these again in next potluck or meet-up (well, I might change my mind if I try some other appetizer soon)!!! ;)
4-5 Bread Slices
3 Potatoes, boiled
1 cup Paneer
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/4 tsp Amchur Powder
1-2 tbsp Cornflour, or as required
Salt, to taste
Oil, to deep-fry
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Trim the edges of bread slices. Soak them in a bowl of water and quickly squeeze out all water.
- Mash potatoes, paneer and these soaked bread slices together.
- Add in all the spices and mix everything well.
- Divide the mixture in 10-12 equal balls and coat them lightly with cornflour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and slide 3-4 balls carefully at a time.
- Deep-fry them until crusty and golden brown in color.
- Transfer them to an absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with Green Chutney!
- A healthy alternate: Use paniyaram pan to shallow-fry them!
- Also, you can add finely chopped veggies into mix.