Burnt Garlic Rice
I have a few dishes in my list which tastes better when slightly burnt :P I love my khichdi that way… I absolutely love my handva a bit burnt on top!!! And here is one ingredient which I absolutely enjoy when slightly burnt… And that’s Garlic :)
Well, if you can’t have burnt garlic as it is.. Here is a way to include it a rice dish! I prepared this ‘Burnt Garlic Rice’ for dinner and served it along with restaurant-style Dal-Fry (coming soon). Healthy elements of garlic gets destroyed a bit when you over-cook it, but this works for a change :P Do try out sometime…
1 cup Basmati Rice
5 cloves Garlic
2-3 tbsp Capsicum, chopped
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tbsp Ghee
Salt, to taste
2-3 tsp Lemon Juice
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Cook basmati rice until 90% done, drain excess water and keep it aside.
- Peel and finely chop garlic cloves and let it rest for 10-15 mins on your chopping board only.
- Heat ghee in deep-pan and add cumin seeds in it.
- Once it starts crackling, add garlic and hing in it. Saute it for a min or 2 (or until garlic changes color to darkside of golden brown).
- Add chopped capsicum and quickly cook it. We want it to retain crunchiness.
- Then add cooked rice and spices and mix everything well.
- Cook for 2 more mins and serve hot with any sort of Dal-Lentils!
Garlic should never be cooked immediately after cutting/chopping. Let it release the enzymes first!