Kaju Mesoob – by, Mum
In past 7-8 years before my marriage, most of my mornings started with mum’s shouts to get up n go for shower!!! But many of those mornings had a wonderful aromatic welcome :) Even thought mum is diabetic, she is fond of making variety of sweets for mandir-bhog. But out of all those, what I found the most amazing one is ‘Kaju Mesoob’ i.e. Cashew nut Lacy Bites! And not only me, everyone (including dad, aunts, uncles, my in-laws, mum’s friends) say that she makes the best mesoob ever!!! In fact, going to their places and demonstrating the technique is something she always loved <3
Well, I’m not much of a sweets-fan yet I have been enjoying to be among her fan-followers ;) Since I got married, 2 more people got added on top of that list: My mother-in-law and of course, an all-time sweet-lover – My Hubby!!! Whenever he got a chance, asked mum to make some for him and also instructed me to learn that from her…
Aah… I never need to worry when we’re in India only as she keeps a box ready for KG to enjoy all the days… Also packs some for us to bring here!
Now I’m worried… What will KG do when a pack of 500 gms get over? Hehe.. I have tried it now and I’m sure this will make him happy! After all… I got mum’s secret recipe :D
1 cup Cashew nut Powder
1 cup Sugar
3 cups Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1/2 tsp Cardamom Seeds
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Heat ghee in thick bottomed pan on low flame.
- Meanwhile, take sugar in a non-stick pan and add a few tablespoons of water to cover all sugar inside.
- Keep the flame low and keep stirring it until sugar melts completely.
- Bring it to boil and prepare syrup with 1.5 strings.
- Add cashew nut powder in it and keep stirring on fast pace in one direction only.
- Keep adding 2 tbsp of ghee every few seconds during stirring process.
- After around 2 cups of ghee, it will start forming lacy pattern.
- Once you finish adding all ghee, spread it on a greased aluminium (or steel plate) mould.
- Sprinkle a few cardamom seeds over it.
- After 10 mins, cut them into squares or diamonds and take out 2 of them from corner.
- Keep the surface of mould inclined to release excess ghee.
- Cool it down for 5-6 hours and serve!!!
How to check 1.5 strings consistency of Sugar Syrup–
- Put 2 drops of syrup on your thumb and press it using your forefinger.
- When it forms a full string, it’s 1 string syrup.
- But when it forms a full one along with another one which breaks off immediately after forming full string is 1.5 strings consistency!!!
- Just take care while doing it :)