I don’t much enjoy having simple daal-rice everytime… I love varieties of daal n even in rice dishes too! Peas pulao, jeera rice, chinese/mexican fried rice, mushroom biryani, potato biryani, rissotto n many more I try often… But something that always makes me think twice is ‘Vegetable Biryani’!!! I’m not scared of making it, but I find it pretty much time-consuming, complex n heavy to have… End results immediately change my mind though :P
I prefer making it only when I’m in mood of preparing a royal daawat! I obviously feel bored by thinking of simple biryani everytime, my variations make me stay excited forever!!! Here is a simple, easy n less-time-consuming recipe of ‘Vegetarble Biryani’ my way :)
2 cup basmati rice
1/2 cup green peas
1 Onion (medium-sized)
1/2 cup Cauliflower florets
1 tbsp Curd
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
Chopped mint leaves
Saffron milk (few strands of saffron soaked in lukewarm milk)
Salt as per taste
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
A pinch of hing
3 tbsp Oil
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Cook basmati rice in open vessel with little salt & khada masala (cinnamon, cloves, bayleaf) in water. Drain and rinse with cold water when it is 80-85% done.
- Parboil potato, cauliflower & carrot together (if microwave – 6 mins)
- Drain excess water from parboiled veggies. Add tomato, curd with all spices and mix well.
- Heat oil in kadai and add cumin seeds, hing.
- When it starts spluttering, add onions (cut in strings – julien) and fry it till dark brown.
- Take fried-onions out and add veggies mixture in the same kadai. Mix well and cook it for around 5 mins. Here on, up to step 8, it can be done in oven-proof bowl / clay-pot as well–
- Make alternate layers of veggies mixture & cooked rice in kadai/oven-bowl.
- On every layer of rice, sprinkle fried onions, a pinch of garam masala, few chopped mint leaves & pour 2 tsp saffron milk.
- Repeat the process for making alternate layers (minimum 2 layers each).
- Seal it wit aluminium foil & bake it for around 20-25 mins on 160 degrees.
- It’s ready to serve with yogurt!
- Find more rice dishes @ https://cookingwithsj.com/category/rice-dishes/
- Share your experiments @ https://cookingwithsj.com/post-your-recipe