Many of my dishes fall into ‘Everyday Cooking‘ category! I call them everyday subzi/gravy just ‘coz its something that we always make without any specific list of ingredients or variety of spices!!!
Every family has their own stories of everyday dishes! Call them their traditional dishes or their favorite ones :) And steps usually are recurring… Add it! Stir it! Taste it! Re-add if required… and it goes on.
If I say, I made bhindi… That’s just a normal talk to my family unless I specify my extra element :) My mum makes it 2 different ways, n same is done at my mum-in-law’s end too! And yes, that’s how I and hubby love it! Following the same routine family recipe with just a minor change here… They use boiled potatoes, I added pan-fried for crunchiness :)
250 gm Bhindi
1 Potato, cut into small cubes
1 tsp Kasoori Methi
1/2 tsp Ajwain
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
A pinch of Hing
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Salt, to taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Clean all bhindis with damp cloth and trim the ends. Cut them into pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add potato cubes in it. Saute them for 2-3 mins or until they are lightly brown in color. Take them out and keep aside.
- Add ajwain + cumin seeds in the same pan.
- Once they start crackling, add hing along with bhindi, salt, turmeric powder in it.
- Mix everything well and cook it without lid for 15 mins on medium heat.
- Make sure bhindis are soft and tender, else cook for 5 more mins.
- Add potatoes and other spices. Mix everything well and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with phulka roti!
- You can eliminate kasoori methi here. I simply use it for a beautiful aroma :)
- Also, ajwain is added for ease in digestion!