I simply love ‘Cholafali’!!! May be more ‘coz my mum is an expert in making these ‘Diwali-Special’ munchies :) She makes it in whole-sale quantity n I remember, I used to resist a lot while serving them to guests :P I miss her cholafalis this time :(
A few days back, she told me that she bough flours n all for it! I asked whether she was to make in advance… N she instantly replied, she had to parcel it for my 1-year old nephew… As he recently started eating everything, n she wanted him to taste her speciality :) I simply loved it… My brother n sister-in-law too got to have it this Diwali, n I missed! She would have sent some to me as well, by food-items are not allowed in courier here :( Bad luck… Anyways, I bothered her for the recipe n here I’m… Made these beautiful looking puffed cholafalis at home!
I have always seen my dad helping mum to pound a dough, n hubby was working from home… So why not??!!! I took an advantage of making it when he’s available for this tedious task ;)
1 cup Urad Dal Flour
1 cup Besan
3/4 cup Water
1/2 tsp Salt
Oil, to deep-fry
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder + 1 tsp Black Salt
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Take water and salt in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Cool them down a little before using for dough.
- Mix urad dal flour and besan with a pinch of salt in a big bowl.
- Knead a hard dough by adding water gradually as required.
- You need to pound this dough well to make it soft n easy for rolling out. This very important step takes around half hour!!!
- Divide the dough in 15 equal portions.
- Roll them out to make a roti of 6-7″ in diameter and cut them vertically, keeping their edges intact.
- Deep-fry them in hot oil until golden brown in color. They will puff up immediately after sliding in kadai.
- Sprinkle a spice mix over it lightly after taking them out on kitchen tissues.
- And yummy cholafali is ready to serve!
- Take care while adding salt in dough, as we are using black salt in spice mix for taste!
- Proportions of flours varies for everyone, this is how my mum makes it :)
I tasted it recently .It was awesome.Your clicks are awesome
Looks crunchy and crispy, new to me. will try this soon…
Loved them will try them soon loved your moms recipe please tell her that :)
Thanks dear :) Will convey ur msg for sure!!! ♥
Hi lovely recipe, I am always on the lookout for Savoury Snacks. Btw, can this be stored airtight or meant to be eaten straightaway?
Lovely Blog and Thanks for sharing, Mrs Singh, Malaysia
Hello Mrs. Singh, this can be stored in air-tight container for munching later! Shelf-life is approx 15-20 days :)