In a food-world, ‘Fafda’ is called to be an identity of Gujarat, specially Saurastra! Even though I’m brought up in Ahmedabad since I was a month old, I belong to Saurastra… I’m born Saurastrian! And I sure-shot inherit a trait of being kathiyawadi… Naaah, not in my speech at all :P In my sunday morning cravings…
Years passed, my dad still still loves garam-garam fafda that comes with tangy papaya salad n sweetish yogurt kadhi! And that’s the 1st thing we used to eat on sunday morning… I’m here, but that routine hasn’t changed yet :P Recently on this Dashera, I thought of trying it out in-house… Reason, I don’t get such soft, melt-in-mouth fafda here… N may be ‘coz I missed dad on that day n wanted to make n show him his favorite snack on my cooking space :)
When he saw this picture, he sounded so happy about it n I felt more proud of myself when mum asked me this recipe!!! I visited cloud 9 for sure…
Missed posting it on time due to some confusion! Better late than never… n it’s never a snack to have on that particular day only :P Off you go with an easy recipe…
1 cup Besan (Gram Flour)
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Ajwain
1/4 tsp Cracked Pepper
1 tbsp Oil
Salt, to taste
Water, as required
A pinch of Hing
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Mix all dry ingredients in a big bowl.
- Add water gradually and knead a soft dough out of it.
- Dough will be sticky initially, so once done, add oil and knead it for 2-3 mins more.
- Divide the dough in 12-15 equal sized portions and make capsules in shape.
- Roll them in one-shot to make a thin n long fafda shape. Make sure you press it hard while rolling, as rolling it one more time will break n stick it to rolling pin.
- Heat oil in deep frying pan and use knife to lift rolled fafda and slide carefully in pan.
- Deep-fry on low flame for 1-2 mins each side.
- Serve hot with yogurt kadhi or papaya salad :)
- Traditionally, they use palm to stretch dough and make fafda. And even I tried it too, but as it was taking too long for a non-practitioner, I used my rolling pin for a quick solution ;)
crunchy munchy and yummy yaar, new to me will surely try this…
one breakfast i miss now. i would always buy them ready made…. fafda with jalebis :-) btw from the home page, i cannot browse more. it gets stuck at page 3 and then there is no option of older posts.
Ohhhh ‘m sorry, Dassana! Will check it out soon… Thank you for spending some time here ♥
my pleasure shruti. you have a really nice collection of recipes in the different categories.