Ringan no Olo – Kathiyawadi Style
Do you find anything better than having a dinner cooked specially for you??!!! And it doubles your joy when a chef is none other than your hubby :)
I love cooking with no doubt… But even I love getting pampered like a princess :) I feel so excited when I get to taste a special dish prepared by someone else. Hubby decided to make me feel that on last weekend! After too much of thought-processing, he finalized to make an authentic dish from Saurastra “OLO” (or call it kathiyawadi baigan ka bharta). I heard a lot about his specialty in making it, but never got a chance to have that before. And yes, I must mention that he went to get an aubergine from super-market without being a little lazy even :) Loved his energy in the kitchen that evening…
Finally, he served me that dish in a plate n I tasted… I really wasn’t able to express how tasty it was! Guess, someone who never prefers having left-over, enjoyed it with 2 parathas on next day even :P Thank you from bottom of my heart, KG! N yes, you should cook often (n gimme a break)… you’re a great cook, I see ;)
1 Eggplant (medium-round one)
6 Spring Onions (chopped)
3 Garlic Cloves
2 Green chillies, chopped
1 Chopped Tomato
½ cup Spring onion, greens
2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
½ tsp Turmeric Powder
½ tsp Garam Masala
Salt, to taste
½ tsp Cumin Seeds
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Apply oil over eggplant and make 4-5 slits on all sides of it.
- Roast it on direct flame for around 20 mins and peel the skin off. Roughly mash it using potato-masher.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan and add cumin seeds in it.
- Once it stops crackling, add chopped green chillies, garlic, spring onions into it. Saute it until onions are soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients along with spices in it. Mix everything well.
- Cook it uncovered for approx 4-5 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with millet flour rotla!
- Kids usually don’t prefer to have eggplant at all. You can add one mashed potato to give a pav-bhaji touch here!!!