After getting married, I stayed with in-laws for nearly 8-9 months. And during that time, I got to know so many stories of past by family members… I know I’m no one to do it, but iff I have to mark someone 10/10 in family, I would definitely give it to my grandpa-in-law!!! Although I never could meet him, I feel I know him completely… the way he cared for everyone in-house, even his friends n relatives, caring for someone whom he doesn’t even know, honest work-policies, great decision-making skills… n on top of everything, his characteristics of a great foodie!!! I kept hearing those stories just as I loved hearing fairy-tales :) Something that I always feel to be my bad luck is I never could meet my grandpa-in-law… :(
Being a foodie, he always loved fried delicacies… And specially during monsoons!!! And yes, even when he didn’t wish to have those munchies, my brother-in-law (IAG – a big-big time food-lover) made him say YES everytime :P
I and my hubby too love having dalwada every now n then… Deep-fried entities are always good on plate, but to cut off the calories, here I found an alternate of making ‘Guilt-free Dalwada‘!!! Cooking them in paniyaram pan with just a few drops of oil didn’t change the taste n flavors at all…
1 cup Moong Dal (with skin)
¼ cup Urad Dal
1” Piece of Ginger
½ tsp Green Chilli Paste
Salt, to taste
A pinch of baking soda
Oil, to shallow-fry
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
– Soak moong dal and urad dal together in plenty of water for 4-5 hours.
– Drain excess water out of it completely and grind them to make a coarse batter. Add a little water if required for easy grinding process.
– Transfer it to a bowl and add rest of all ingredients. Mix well.
– At last, add a pinch of baking soda and whisk the batter for a while.
– Heat Paniyaram pan and drizzle few drops of oil in each mould.
– Pour the batter in every mould and cover with a lid.
– Cook it for nearly 7-8 mins and turn them to cook on the other side.
– Again cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 more mins.
– Serve these no-guilt dalwada with a cuppa tea :)