I go mad when I find my kitchen overloaded with potatoes!!! Usually when I switch in lazy mood during weekend nights, I prefer making a one-pot meal for a change. Last weekend, I planned to make a delicious dinner plate including roti-subzi-rice-daal-salad, all major elements of a full meal. And got that plan converted into a flop-show in evening :D
Made a rice variety – “Potato Biryani” that was definitely a super delicious one but a little high on calories! Doesn’t matter… Kabhi kabhi chalta hai!!! ;)
1 cup Basmati Rice
5-6 Potatoes (medium)
1 Onion (cut into juliennes)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
Salt, to taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
– Soak basmati rice for an hour in plenty of water. Parboil them in fresh water with 1/2 tsp of salt till 90% done.
– Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into big cubes (skip this if you are using baby potatoes). Deep fry these potatoes till golden brown n keep them aside.
– Heat ghee in a big nonstick kadai and add cumin seeds.
– Once it crackles, add onions into it. Saute it till they are soft and translucent.
– Add fried potatoes and cooked basmati rice along with all the spices. Mix everything well.
– Cook it covered for around 10 mins. Open the lid and add lemon juice. Give a quick toss to rice.
– Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
– And it’s ready to serve!!!
– Many a times I prefer to add garam masala when it’s nearly ready to serve! This time I added it with rest of the spices to infuse its flavors in potatoes :)
– Ideally, whole garam masala goes in, but I didn’t use this time :D
– Serving with chilled yogurt is always the best option!