I go mad when I find my kitchen overloaded with potatoes!!! Usually when I switch in lazy mood during weekend nights, I prefer making a one-pot meal for a change. Last weekend, I planned to make a delicious dinner plate including roti-subzi-rice-daal-salad, all major elements of a full meal. And got that plan converted into a flop-show in evening :D
Made a rice variety – “Potato Biryani” that was definitely a super delicious one but a little high on calories! Doesn’t matter… Kabhi kabhi chalta hai!!! ;)
1 cup Basmati Rice
5-6 Potatoes (medium)
1 Onion (cut into juliennes)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
Salt, to taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
– Soak basmati rice for an hour in plenty of water. Parboil them in fresh water with 1/2 tsp of salt till 90% done.
– Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into big cubes (skip this if you are using baby potatoes). Deep fry these potatoes till golden brown n keep them aside.
– Heat ghee in a big nonstick kadai and add cumin seeds.
– Once it crackles, add onions into it. Saute it till they are soft and translucent.
– Add fried potatoes and cooked basmati rice along with all the spices. Mix everything well.
– Cook it covered for around 10 mins. Open the lid and add lemon juice. Give a quick toss to rice.
– Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
– And it’s ready to serve!!!
– Many a times I prefer to add garam masala when it’s nearly ready to serve! This time I added it with rest of the spices to infuse its flavors in potatoes :)
– Ideally, whole garam masala goes in, but I didn’t use this time :D
– Serving with chilled yogurt is always the best option!
Linking this entry to Cooking with Seeds (Rice) Event n Priya’s Versatile Recipes:
I love the combo of biryani & potatoes Shruti.. Your biryani looks flavorful and delightful :-)
I love it. Loved the pictures, looks tempting
Thanks dear!!! :)
I love potatoes too but my huby don’t so this is perfect for me when he is not having diner.
Linsy, ‘m lucky in this case! Both of us love potatoes in any dish :D
love potatoes always!This is a great idea for a different taste in rice.will try soon…
Yummy,i also love that plate
I love the combo of biryani and potatoes.. Very delightful… Biryani looks yummy Shruti :-)
Pingback: Aloo Masaledar | Cooking with SJ