Soy-glazed Renkon Chips
Call it chips of ‘Lotus Root’ or ‘Kamal Kakdi’ or ‘Bhein’… I call it an unusual alternate for potato chips :P ‘Renkon’ is a Japanese word for lotus root, which is widely used in any Asian dishes.
It’s all about a root-veggie that looks beautiful when you cut into slices!!! It has got so many holes (as you can see in the pics here) giving a nice airy texture on serving plate :)
“Soy-glazed Renkon Chips” – A crispy, yummy and easy-to-make side dish!
1 no. Lotus Root (medium in size)
1 tbsp Chopped Onions
1/2 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
2 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Red Chilly Sauce
2 tsp Cornflour (white)
Oil, for deep-frying + 1 tsp to stir-fry
Salt, to taste
Spring onion (greens), to garnish
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
– Wash the lotus root, peel it and cut it into medium-thick slices.
– Keep the slices in boiling water for 2 mins to cook it partially. Then after drain and rinse with fresh water. Pat-dry them with a kitchen towel and let it rest for a few mins.
– Add all the slices in a bowl of cornflour and coat them well.
– Heat oil in a deep-frying pan and slide 10-12 slices at time carefully. Fry them on high flame till they are crisp like chips and golden-brown in color. Take them out on absorbent paper.
– Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped onions and stir-fry them on high heat.
– Add fried chips, soy sauce and red chilly sauce. Add salt only if required and give it a quick toss.
– Squeeze a little lemon juice and sprinkle spring onion greens before serving!!! :)
– Roasted peanuts can be added to try a variation.
– Simply deep-fried chips can be served with a pinch of chat masala over it!!!
Linking this recipe to Nivedhanam’s Onion Special Event – Priya’s VFAM.Sending this recipe to Motions and Emotions – Sara’s Corner and Kid’s Delight Sweet Treats – Vali’s Announcement Page along with Indian Delights – Monsoon Temptations :