Lebanese Lentils Rice
A simple, quick and healthy rice variety – “Lebanese Lentils Rice“, is very famous as ‘Mujaddara‘ in Middle-Eastern countries! Basmati rice cooked with brown lentils and light spices serves the best one-pot meal for a lazy weekday… I had it a long back in a middle-eastern restaurant, but never thought of making it in-house. And when I tried it last night, it turned out to be pretty much similar to the dish I had before :)
Here is a recipe of ‘Lentils n Caramelized Onions Pilaf’ :P
Makes: 2 servings
1 cup Basmati Rice
1 Brown Onion
1 cup Brown Lentils (Canned / Cooked)
1 tbsp Olive Oil + 2 tsp extra
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Crushed Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Lemon Juice
Salt, to taste
– Wash basmati rice and cook it in boiling water (salt added) till its 90% done.
– Drain excess water and rinse with fresh water.
– Caramelize Onions in a sauce pan and keep it aside.
– Heat olive oil in a deep pan and add brown lentils (I used canned one). Saute it for a minute.
– Add rice along with all the spices into it. Mix well and cook it for 2-3 more minutes.
– Turn off the heat and mix half of the caramelized onions in pan.
– Transfer it to a serving bowl, sprinkle remaining caramelized onions on top.
– Drizzle lemon juice over the bowl and serve hot with yogurt dip! :)
Linking this entry to Cooking with Seeds (Rice) Event n Priya’s Versatile Recipes: