Got a request to post some Indo-Chinese dish in Jain Series, and here I’m with a restaurant style “Gobhi 65”, deep-frying cauliflower florets and then stir-frying it with Chinese spices makes a wonderful appetizer! This dish can be prepared in many ways, but I love fried one out of all… Optionally, you can bake or grill them as well for a healthy-version :)
When I had it 1st time, I wondered why is it called Gobhi ’65’ and not ’19’ or ’22’ or anything else??!!! And I google-d it to find out a reason, which confused me more n more as there are number of reasons given by people.
i.e. Because it was a replica of Chicken 65! Some lady of 65 yrs invented this for his son! Original recipe had 65 different ingredients for making! n what not… Too funny, isn’t it??
I know, you must have started thinking by now :P Add a list of your reasons to this dish…
15-16 Cauliflower Florets
1 tsp Ginger paste
1/4 cup Capsicum (cut into cubes)
1/2 tsp Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Soya Sauce
1 tsp Red chilly sauce
1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
Salt, to taste
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Plain Flour
1 tsp Cornstarch
Salt, to taste
Oil, for deep-frying
– Wash all the florets under tap water and parboil them for 4-5 mins.
– Drain and rinse with cold water.
– Mix plain flour, cornstarch, salt in a bowl and add water to get a thick batter consistency.
– Heat oil in deep-frying pan. Once oil reaches smoking point, turn the heat to medium-high.
– Dip each cauliflower floret in batter and slide 4-5 at once carefully for deep-fry.
– Turn it around and fry till they are golden-brown in color and crisp from outside.
– Take them out on absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
– Mix cornstarch, soya sauce, red chilly sauce, salt and pepper powder in a small bowl. And make a slurry by adding water.
– Heat 2 tsp oil in a stir-fry pan and add ginger paste, capsicum in it.
– Saute it for a while and add fried gobhi (florets) along with cornstarch slurry.
– Mix well to coat all the florets with brown paste. Cook for a few seconds on high heat and serve hot!!!
SJ’s NOTE (for non-Jain version):
– Optionally, spring onion whites and garlic paste can be used added with ginger paste.
– In that case, turn off the heat and sprinkle spring onion greens as well before serving.