Being a part of traditional Indian family, I can’t recall even a single day when mum didn’t make rotis for everyday meal! If not roti, it had to be any sort of flatbreads i.e. paratha, thepla, poori etc. etc. Ohh yes, even when she was making khichdi or rice or any one-pot dinner, she would make roti for lunch time!
Didn’t I say so many times before that I love making various types of flatbreads, no matter if it’s a stuffed one, in-built one or simple!!! And I make that often… but I still feel, I can’t make the no. of varieties that my mum used to feed me :P Moong stuffed Paratha, Gobhi, Mooli, Aloo Paratha… Paneer, Moong Dal, Chana Dal stuffed ones… and many more! She’s an inspiration… <3
A few days back, I had some left-over cooked rice and planned to use that for next meal. I tried making this flat breads using it…
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour (Atta)
1 cup Cooked Rice (leftover or fresh)
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Kashmiri Chilly Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Ajwain
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt, to taste
Water, as required
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Take all ingredients in a big bowl and knead a dough by adding water as required.
- Drizzle a few drops of oil and knead it for a min again.
- Divide it into 10-12 balls immediately and roll them out roti sized (dusting will be required).
- Griddle-roast the paratha on both the sides by drizzling few drops of oil.
- Cook until golden brown spots appear and serve hot!
- Don’t let this dough rest as it tends to get sticky and softer.
- You can also add finely chopped onions to give it a crunch.