SaatPadi ~ 7 layered poori
Crispy, crunchy, flaky… and strikingly beautiful!!! I love these ‘SaatPadi’ :) I always find them to be a smaller version of lachcha paratha… except that it has got 7 layers inside!!! Don’t stare at the pics… I’m not a perfectionist here!!! My mum makes it a way too perfect to call them Saatpadi and you’ll find 5-6-7-8 layers (sometimes even 2-3) in mine ;) These are definitely not consistent… but yes, I finally have matched the taste with hers.
Since I moved here, I never got to have these crunchy tea-time snack. And when KG said he loves it too, I had to make it ;)
2 cups Plain Flour (Maida)
2 tbsp Ghee/Oil
A pinch of Turmeric
Salt, to taste
Water, for kneading
2 tbsp Oil
1/4 cup Wheat Flour (or rice flour/maida)
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Mix oil and wheat flour in a small bowl and make a lumpfree spread out of it.
- Take plain flour, salt and ghee together and mix them well to form crumbly texture.
- Add water gradually and knead a medium-hard dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside for half hour. And then divide it into 10 equal balls.
- Make a thin roti out of them.
- Grease the surface with some spread and roll each one of them from one end to the other to form a cylinder shape.
- Cut it into 8-10 portions using a knife.
- Roll out each one of them in smallest sized pooris. Repeat the same process for all the other rotis.
- Deep-dry on medium heat until golden brown and crispy.
- Once cooled down, pack them in air-tight container!!!
- Along with spread, I sprinkled a spice-mix of black salt & black pepper before making a roll of them.
- Also, make sure you rub flour with ghee well which makes the pooris flaky!!!