So many memories revived while making this bowl of ‘Sabudana Khichdi’!!! My dad is used to fast on Saturdays since years and mum makes this as a part of his dinner :) Till the time, I was living with them, she used to make some extra for me to have it… On a condition that I’ll have my dinner as well. And then there was a time when I preferred to stay away from it. I obviously had a good enough dose of it every week so the days when I have to observe a fast (hardly happens though), I loved to make many other dishes but never made this one :P
It’s a Shravan month going on… And fasting on all 5 Mondays is what we have decided! Got a pack of sabudana from Indian store, soaked them and made this khichdi for breakfast itself. And it truly serves the best combo with a cuppa tea :)
3/4 cup Sabudana (Sago Pearls)
1 Potato, medium
1 Green Chilly, finely chopped
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tbsp Oil
Salt, to taste
1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
Coriander Leaves, chopped (for garnish)
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Soak sabudana in 1-1/4 cup water at overnight. Drain excess water in morning and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds into it.
- Once it stops crackling, add potato cubes and cook it covered for 5 mins or until soft. You can use boiled potatoes here to avoid cooking in oil.
- Add green chilly and saute for a while.
- Mix in soaked sabudana along with the spices and toss everything well.
- Cook it for 4-5 mins on medium flame and turn off the heat.
- Drizzle lemon juice over it and garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
- My mum used to add partially crushed peanuts (1/2 cup) in her version. I love it that way as well.
- Adjust the amount of lemon juice as per your taste.