Call it Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese! I love it… in curries/gravies, breads, rice or even in starters :) But the prices are too high in Indian stores around… So I usually make it at home only. Not only for the price factor, I find it more fresh & soft too. Why don’t you give it a try? All you need is just milk, lemon juice and a piece of cheese-cloth… :)
1 ltr Milk
2-3 tsp Lemon Juice
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Heat milk in a heavy-bottomed pan on low flame.
- Once its boiling, add lemon juice and turn off the heat.
- Leave it untouched for 15 mins or until it gets curdled completely.
- Transfer it to a cheesecloth and drain the whey.
- Make a tight bag out of this cheesecloth and hand it to the sink tap.
- After approx 1.5 hrs, place it on a flat surface and put a heavy weight onto it.
- And let is set for about 1-2 hours again.
- You can use it instantly by cutting into cubes or it can be stored upto 2 days in refrigerator.
- Use the whey in kneading dough or making soups. It works great :)
- You can use vinegar instead of lemon juice here! I’m allergic to it so I prefer lemon juice always!!!
- In pics, I made that with 500 ml of milk only as I already made a big batch and forgot to click pics that time :P