Back to comfort food??!!! Naah… this post is my all-time favorite food. My mum used to make this many a times for dinner and recently I bookmarked Pari’s recipe for trying out in my kitchen! This is quite a simple yet flavorful dish. Have it with paratha/roti or a plate of steamed/jeera rice, it works wonderfully with everything :)
Well, I would like to post this recipe with minor changes I did!!! Hers was a dry version and I made it gravy one…
3/4 cup Toor daal
2-3 cups Spinach (thawed, if frozen), finely chopped
1/2 cup Tomato Puree + 1 tbsp Chopped Tomatoes
1 Small Onion, chopped
2 tsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 tbsp Oil
Salt, to taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash and soak toor dal for an hour and then pressure-cook it for 3-4 whistles. It should be mushy in texture.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add cumin seeds in it.
- Once it crackles, add ginger, garlic paste and chopped onions in it. Saute it for a while or until onions are soft.
- Add tomato puree, chopped tomatoes in the pan and cook it for 4-5 mins and then add spinach in it along with all the spices.
- Cook for 3-4 mins only as spinach will get lighter in color and shrink a lot.
- Add pressure-cooked toor daal to it and mix everything well. Cover with a lid and cook for a few mins.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and drizzle some lemon juice on top.
I can’t handle green chillies (original recipe) so I replaced it with red chilly powder here.
Sending this entry to Pari’s Only Tried & Tasted Event :)