What’s the simplest variety of rice after plain, steamed one? What’s something that you crave for at any roadside dhaaba? What’s the best thing to go with any sort of lentil preparation??? Of course, that’s “Jeera Rice” :)
When I get a bowl full of jeera rice, I literally skip everything else… No curry, No dal, Only Rice!!! :D Then why not to make it often by following this simple recipe? :)
1 cup Basmati Rice
1″ Cinnamon Stick
1 Star Anise
1.5 tbsp Clarified Butter (ghee)
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Salt
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash and soak good quality basmati rice in plenty of water for 2 hours.
- Heat 3 cups of water in a big vessel and bring it to boil.
- Add salt and all whole garam masala.
- Carefully add rice in it and give a quick stir. Cook it until 95% done.
- Drain excess water and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Heat ghee in tadka pan and add cumin seeds in it.
- Once it starts crackling, add a pinch of hing and pour it over cooked rice.
- Mix everything well and garnish with coriander leaves before serving!
- I added salt while cooking rice only, so skipped it later on.
- Adding all garam masala during that time only to get the rice grains quite aromatic!!!