To be honest, I never had been to Gurudwara… Hubby used to visit once in a while with his friends and so he knew what ‘Langar’ is and what all things being served there! Since I came here, he asked me several times to make ‘Langarwali Dal’ but I never tasted it before so had no clue how to replicate the same dish at home…
I thought of referring some of my favorite blogger friend’s work! And then bookmarked a few links out of it… Out of all those, I decided to go with Dassana’s (Veg Recipes of India) recipe! Believe me, she’s the one blogger whose work I found extra-ordinary… And what I love about her recipes is “Simplicity” – the way she instructs the making process is just ‘Easiest-to-follow’ :) I never got in touch with her before, but before drafting this post, I definitely asked her for allowing me to backlink her blog!
And since I made the same dal, I have been making it often! Hubby found it quite similar to the one he had before and I too loved it like anything :) Thank you so much, Dassana for such a lovely lentil preparation! Yet I altered her recipe a bit to adjust according to our taste; base recipe is similar though!!!
1 cup whole urad dal
1/4 cup chana dal
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/2 tomato, pureed
1 tsp Ginger Paste
2 tsp Garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
2-3 tbsp Cooking Oil (or Ghee)
Coriander Leaves, to garnish
salt, to taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Soak lentils in plenty of water for nearly 1-2 hours.
- Add half amount of ginger and garlic paste in pressure cooker along with lentils and a pinch of salt. And pressure-cook for 5 whistles or until they are a little mushy.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pad and and add remaining ginger-garlic paste and chopped onions. Saute for a while and add tomatoes.
- Cook tomatoes until they are soft and then add tomato puree, spices to cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add cooked lentils and mix everything well.
- Keep cooking on medium flame for 4-5 mins.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with jeera rice or roti!
Recipe Source: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/amritsari-dal