‘Okra’ is always my 1st pick for experiments! I simply love these tender yet firm pods… And when I get whole baby okra, I go mad with happiness!!! Of course, everyone in my family too loves it so I got to eat various dishes cooked with okra :)
Have already tried enough of subzis/curries using it, but to give a new touch to my baby okra, I planned making ‘Bhindi-do-Pyaza’!!! Name itself denotes that onions are double than quantity of okra :P Or that’s how I understand it… Hubby loves whatever I cook out of it, mostly (excluding 1-2 disasters) so a new avatar of bhindi wasn’t going to fail for sure :P Really a simple to cook dish, which came out extra-ordinarily well!!!
250 gm Baby Okra
1 Onion, thinly sliced
1/2 Tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
1 tsp Amchoor Powder
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt, to taste
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Ajwain
A pinch of Hing
2 tbsp Oil
Coriander Leaves, chopped
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash and trim baby okra. Microwave it on high for 4-5 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, ajwain and hing.
- Once it crackles, add garlic paste along with sliced onions. Saute it for a while.
- Add tomatoes along with all the spices and mix everything well.
- Mix in pre-cooked okra and give a quick toss.
- Cook for nearly 6-7 mins and turn off the heat.
- Pour lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
- I microwaved baby okra not to loose its texture, as I used frozen ones. You simply can cook for 10 mins in pan only.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste. You can use lemon juice instead of amchoor as well!
Your recipe is so simple!
Love it! Love okra and the recipe looks great :)
This one is my favorite food..
Oooh my fathers fav! He always orders this when he goes to Indian restaurants. Il make this for him. :)