It’s been too long I had idlis last time… Wanted to use my idli stand but somehow, I feel it’s useless forever! Hubby doesn’t like idlis much n so I don’t prefer to make for myself… :( This time, he agreed to have idlis as he had it in previous week n he enjoyed. I thought of giving a twist to my idlis as I don’t get an opportunity often :P
Used my favorite kaali dal (urad dal with skin on it) and believe me, it was a successful experiment. Hubby enjoyed it on breakfast plate too :) Woooohooooo… I finally am using my idli maker!!!
3 cups Idli Rice
1 cup Urad Dal (with skin)
1 cup Beaten Rice (Poha)
Water, as required
Salt, to taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash rice and urad dal and soak them separately in plenty of water for 5-6 hours.
- Add washed poha to rice vessel too at the same time.
- Grind them to make a smooth paste by using water as required.
- Add both the batters in a big vessel and mix them well.
- Mix salt in it and keep it at some hot place for overnight fermentation.
- After that, grease the idli stand and pour a ladle of batter to moulds.
- Steam it for 9-10 mins (or 4 mins if using microwave one)
- Let it stand for a min in moulds and scoop them out using a spoon.
- Serve hot with sambhar or chutney!
- I served it with my favorite Pickle Masala! Also, sambhaar or coconut chutney can be prepared.
- This batter should not be too thick or thin. Be careful while adding water in grinding.
- You can use the same proportion of skinless urad dal to replace the skin one here.