Mexican-Style Fried Rice
I feel sometimes that I have some sort of mental block for several dishes! Mostly that happens when I see a menu of Mexican cuisine anywhere… No doubt, I love a few things… i.e. Burrito (at times), Quesadillas (Fusion), Rice (ohhh I love it!) but dishes like nachos n tacos never inspire me to cook in my kitchen! I’m not going to try explaining the reason as probably there’s no logic behind that :P
I have had mexican rice many a times before, so not going to compare today’s dish with the authentic ones! I certainly know that I wanted to make a fusion rice variety – Yes, IndoMexican one :P Wanted to use my ingredients in making of mexican-style fried rice!!!
1 cup Long-grained Rice
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Red Chilly Paste
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 tbsp Diced Tomatoes
1 tbsp Tomato Puree
1/2 can Mixed Beans
1 tsp Garlic, minced
2 tbsp Chopped Bellpepper (green)
4 Button Mushrooms, diced
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Ground Cumin Seeds
Water, as required
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash and soak rice for half hour. Cook soaked rice in plenty of water with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Once they are 90% done, drain excess water and rinse with fresh water to stop cooking process.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add ground cumin. After a few seconds, add chopped onion, garlic with red chilly paste.
- When onions are soft, add chopped bellpepper along with mushrooms, diced tomatoes and beans. Mix them well.
- Cook for around a min and add cooked rice and all the spices.
- Toss these rice well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot as a side!!!
- Adjust the amount of red chilly paste according to your taste.
- Also, you can use specifically black beans! I love adding more protein, so I prefer a combo of 4 beans here…
Linking this entry to Cooking with Seeds (Rice) Event n Priya’s Versatile Recipes:
I’m drooling right in the morning!!! slurp…