Paneer Fried Rice
I love my cousins back in India! They’re all younger than me, calling me ‘Didi’ :) Before I scribble that funny evening here, lemme specify they all are super-foodies!!! Till the time I was there, I used to cook their choice of dishes. Sometimes we used to explore new food-joints all together! We never missed celebrating our birthdays n rakhi day with a long list of food prepared in-house or take-away or by dining-out. One of those days I can’t forget ever…
I used to buy local restaurant deals online n once I saw a very attractive deal of ‘Yanki Sizzlers’! Instead of buying one for me to go along with 1-2 friends, I bought 2 vouchers so that a toofan gang (that’s what they call) can go together! We girls decided to get dressed over-the-top n then left for dinner… Went there.. Ordered 2-3 sizzlers n some other dishes! Everything was done within 30 mins… And then my youngest cousin said “Didi, aren’t you still hungry?” :P Ordering few more sizzlers didn’t seem to be a great idea, so we paid there n came out!
Facial expressions were worth seeing… Funny, too funny I better say! Dinner was just 50% done… Planned to get a pizza delivery @ home or have a take-away from chinese food-joint… But going back to home without enjoying wasn’t digestible enough! We decided to go ‘Honest’ restaurant… Reached there, read the menu n I was shocked to hear that everyone had their own fast-food dish to order :P Even I was the one among them…
Had 6 different plates n phewwwwww… Got done eating them within 10-15 mins!!! Went back to home… Had 4 packs of Maggi n enjoyed late night watching TV :P
What an evening it was!!! Voracious Foodies :P
Back to the point… I had this variety of rice in one of the sizzlers we ordered – “Paneer Fried Rice“!!! A combo of paneer n spring onions works great together… Loved making n eating this dish @ home n thought of posting this funny incident along with the easiest recipe :)
1 cup Basmati Rice
1 cup Paneer Cubes
A fistful Green Peas
2 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
2 tbsp Spring Onion Whites, chopped
1/4 cup Spring Onions Greens, chopped
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
Salt, to taste
1 cup Water
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Soak basmati rice in water for 3-4 hours. Cook in boiling water with 1/2 tsp of salt until rice is 90% done.
- Heat oil in thick-bottomed vessel and add bayleaf, cloves and cumin seeds in it.
- Once cumin seeds stop crackling, add ginger-garlic paste and spring onion (whites). Saute them for a while.
- Add paneer cubes and stir-fry them till they start getting light golden in color.
- Add boiled green peas, rice along with all dry spices. Mix everything well.
- Turn off the heat and pour lemon juice. Add spring onion greens too and gently toss once.
- Serve Boondi Raita!
- Sometimes I fry paneer cubes and keep them in boiling water for 5 mins before adding!!!