Many childhood memories revived!!! Years back, mum n aunties all together used to make sundried papa n sev in bulk :D From that list, Khichiya Papad has been my favorite for all time… & I specifically participate in making of those just ‘coz I get to eat bowls of “Khichu” during those hours on terrace… hehehe!!!
Due to health issues, mum no more make them in batches like she used to but whenever I ask her, she makes khichu quickly for me! I got a pack of rice flour last weekend to make modak on Ganesh Pooja… More, I use it for dusting while making rotis (a useful tip from my mami). But other than that, I hardly make chaklis or any other snacks using it.
Planned to make a spciy n delicious “Khichu” after making modaks… Here is a quick n easy recipe for you to try it!
1 cup Rice Flour
1 ½ cup Water
½ tsp Salt
A pinch of Cumin Seeds
½ tsp Ghee
2 tsp Oil
½ tsp Pickle Masala
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Boil water salt, ghee and cumin seeds in a big non-stick vessel.
- Add rice flour gradually in it and keep stirring to avoid lumps. Mix it well.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for nearly 6-7 mins or until you get a soft dough out of it.
- Transfer it to a bowl and take a small portion in hand and make small balls.
- Arrange them in a greased idli steamer and steam for 10 mins.
- Take them out and serve hot with oil and pickle masala.
Wow! This looks really interesting Shruti.. Although I’ve never tried making Khichu myself :-)
I always asked mum to make it for me :P This time tried by myself n felt like “it’s really that easy??!!!”
me and my huby don’t like this so never ever make this , I also use rice flour while making rotlis. love the balls though.
Slight difference in our case… I love it but hubby doesn’t!!! But sometimes I enjoy eating alone :P