Churma na Ladoo
Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to all foodie friends!!! :)
Gujarati feast and that too at Brahmin’s place is incomplete without ‘Churma na Ladoo’!!! Born Brahmin, I’m also a big-time Ladoo lover :) Whenever we have a Ganpati/Rudri paath at home, my mum n mamis are used to make these special laddoos on previous night! And I joined them most of the times just to cover those laddoos with poppy seeds, which is called ‘Vastra’ (clothes) of these prasaad.
I saw a complete process of making ladoo a hundred times, but never got a chance to try it by myself. This time, to make my mum proud of me (knowing that I can never try my hands on sweets like her), I made these ‘Churma na Ladoo’ to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi :) Ideally, Ganeshji loves laddoos made with jaggery… But I’ve used sugar instead as I already made modak for mandir-bhog. Yes yes, that too for the first time… And I tried boondi na laddoo too… What a grand celebration of this auspicious day! Ganpati Baapa Moriya…
1 cup Coarse Wheat Flour (Bhakhri flour)
3/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Melted Ghee + 1 tsp
1 tsp Finely chopped Cashewnuts
1/8 tsp Cardamom Powder
A pinch of Nutmeg Powder
1 tsp Poppy Seeds
Oil, to deep-fry
Water, as required
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Take bhakhri flour in a bowl and add 1 tsp ghee into it. Mix it well to form crumbles.
- Knead a hard dough by adding water as required.
- Divide this dough in 2-3 portions and make muthiyas (small balls, shaped in fist) out of them.
- Heat oil in pan and deep-fry these muthiyas in it till they are golden brown in color.
- Keep them aside and cool down to room temp.
- Roughly break them into pieces and grind them to make a fine mixture out of them.
- Transfer it to a big bowl and add cardamom n nutmeg powder, chopped dried fruits and powdered sugar in it. Mix everything well.
- Pour half of hot melted ghee and keep mixing it.
- Add the other half in it and mix again. Take a fistful in palms and make ladoos!
- Spread poppy seeds in a plate and roll these ladoo in that plate for a cover.
Same ladoos can be made using powdered jaggery instead of sugar. Heat ghee and jaggery together (or microwave for a min) and add it to mixture. Rest of all steps are same!