Again a comfort food from Gujju family!!! :) “Methi Thepla” is an authentic flat-bread prepared often for picnics, long distance travelling, monsoon, tea-time, tiffin box… You can call it ‘Bread-Butter’ for a Gujju! A dollop of ‘Chhunda’ (a kind of Sweet Mango Pickle) and a thepla… and tummy full :) Spread it, roll it and enjoy….
I have had many different tastes and flavors of this traditional food too.. Crispy, soft, sweet, savory, fried, shallow-fried, pan-roasted, hot etc. etc… Here I have given a recipe of the one my mum used to cook… A little sweet and cooked on flat griddle with oil drizzles!!! :)
1 cup Wheat Flour
3/4 cup Fenugreek Leaves
5-6 Mint Leaves
1/2 tsp Chopped Green Chillies
1 tbsp Yogurt
1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Seeds
2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt, to taste
Cooking Oil, as required
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
– Mix wheat flour, cumin seeds, sugar, turmeric powder and salt all together in a bowl.
– Roughly chop fenugreek and mint leaves. Add them into the bowl along with chopped green chillies.
– Add around 2 tsp of oil into it and mix everything well.
– Knead a soft dough using lukewarm water and cover it with a damp cloth. Keep it aside for sometime.
– Make lemon-sized balls out of the dough and roll them out to make around 7-8″ in diameter.
– Heat a flat griddle and put one onto it. Cook it for nearly 30-40 sec and flip it.
– Apply a little oil on partially-cooked surface and flip it again. Repeat the same process again.
– Cook it on both the sides evenly until golden-brown spots appear on it. Make remaining thepla the same way.
– Methi thepla are ready to serve!!!
– Serving it with a cuppa tea and a pickle of green chillies is the best combo ever!!!
– My mum used to jaggery (not sugar) for a desi touch, but I don’t much like it so replaced with sugar :)