Sometimes I love taking a break from my kitchen!!! Especially when I want my hubby to cook something delicious for me… And on a perfect sunday morning, I demanded him to make one of his specialties for me. As always, he happily agreed to do tat…
I was quite relaxed assuming myself not planning dinner for that day! Few hours passed, he didn’t say a word on that… But still I thought he would make something to surprise me (I always expect surprises from him) :P Then, we got into some arguments… I wanted to have PavBhaji only n he wanted to make ‘Baigan ka Bharta’ for which he got praised a lot before! And booommmmm…. A big flop-show!!!
I thought of using mushrooms and green peas in dinner! Had fenugreek leaves too, so planned a “Mushroom-Mutter Malai” (my brother shared this dish 2 weeks back) and was almost ready to start making it. He said, he wanted to have something else in dinner… and we reached a conclusion to have this variety of rice – “Mushroom-Peas Pulao” :)
I didn’t use much of spices to highlight the flavors of mushrooms in this dish… If you use, share with me :)
Makes: 2 servings
3/4 cup Basmati Rice
6 Button Mushrooms
1/2 cup Green Peas
1 tsp Garlic Paste
1 Onion (chopped)
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Crushed Peppercorn
1 tsp Mint Paste
2 tsp Lemon Juice
Salt, to taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
– Wash and soak rice in plenty of water for half hour. Boil it in open vessel with salted water until 80%-85% cooked. Drain and rinse with cold water.
– Wash and trim mushrooms properly and cut them into thick slices.
– Heat oil in a thick bottomed vessel. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle first.
– After that, add garlic paste and chopped onions into it. Saute it well for a min.
– Add Sliced mushrooms and green peas into vessel along with salt and mix it well.
– Cook till water from mushrooms is evaporated completely. Add cooked rice and all spices into it.
– Mix everything well and cook for around 5 mins.
– Transfer to a serving plate and serve with garlicky yogurt.
– You can use mint powder instead of using fresh mint paste. I usually keep my frozen mint paste handy.
– Another variety of rice consisting mushrooms & caramelized onions – Kumbhi (khumbi) Pulao: