We had been at Afghani Restaurant named ‘Afghan Village’ 3-4 times before! I loved each vegetarian dish they have on their menu! Every single dish had its own mild sweet yet distinct flavors… with amazing aroma :)
Thought of replicating the same dishes in-house this week! We had ‘Daal & Naan’ as an entrée – served with Afghani Bread! Yes… they serve any entrée with their bread n main-course with a plate of shiny, short-grained rice :)
Here you go with the recipe of a simple, aromatic n protein-rich ‘Daal with Brown Lentils‘!!!
Makes: 4 servings
1 can Brown Lentils
1 Garlic Clove (minced)
1/2 tsp Chopped Green Chillies
1 Chopped Onion (medium in size)
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
A pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Pomegranate (Anaardana) Powder
Salt, to taste
2 tsp Cooking Oil
– Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, hing.
– Once it crackles, add chopped onions, green chillies and minced garlic. Saute it for 30 sec.
– Drain and rinse brown lentils and add it into the pan. Add 2-3 tbsp of hot water in it to form a thick gravy.
– Add all the spices and mix well. Cook for 5 mins till .
– Garnish with coriander leaves and drizzle lemon juice before serving it!
– Best to serve as a side dish with Indian meal!
This is very healthy n hearty.I am surely making this :)
Thanks, Harini! Lemme know ur feedback after making it :)
wow…this is something to learn…one comfort food
Pingback: Bourani Kachaloo | Cooking with SJ