Yesterday, it was 3rd time in series when we had beans/lentils dish in our dinner!!! Seems like a season of lentils is back in my kitchen… Actually, I love having protein as a side/main dish or as a salad, if nothing else… But wanted to present a change to my taste-buds, so tried making a variant of very popular ‘Dal Fry’ and ‘Dal Tadka’ :)
And believe me, it was super-duper yummy!!! It accompanied paratha so nicely… I didn’t even think of having pickle on my plate… :P
A dhaba style “Dal Takatak” with amazing aroma of desi ghee! Give a punch to your simple ‘Ghar ka Khana’ with this rich, quick and protein-packed dish…
Makes: 3-4 servings
3/4 cup Tuver Dal
1/4 cup Chana Dal
2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1/4 tsp Chopped Green Chillies
1/4 cup Chopped Onions
1/4 cup Chopped Tomatoes
1 tbsp Ghee
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
A pinch of hing
1/8 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Red chilly powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
2-3 tsp Lemon Juice
Salt, to taste
Water, as required
– Soak both dal in plenty of water for an hour. Pressure-cook them in salty water for 4 whistles.
– Heat ghee in deep-pan and add cuming seeds, hing.
– Once it crackles, add chopped onions along with ginger-garlic paste and green chillies.
– Saute it for a min and when onions are translucent, add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 mins.
– Add boiled dal mixture and all the spices into it.
– Mix well and cook it for 5-7 mins more. Keep stirring in between to maintain a medium-thick consistency (add some water at this stage, if required).
– Turn off the heat, mix lemon juice and transfer it to a serving bowl.
– Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and cream before serving!
– Serve as a classic combo of “Dal Takatak” with Jeera Rice!
– Alternatively, can be served with paratha and a veggie side dish…
– I’m a little generous at times while using ghee for making special desi dishes!!! You can adjust it according to your diet and taste…