I have a soft corner for Maharastrians, I guess I have spoken a lot about it before. Since I was a month old, I have always enjoyed their company in neighbourhood. I love eating their authentic dishes and yes, I absolutely love their modaks… I remember, my mum used to observe a fast on ‘Angarika Chauth’ and she always prepared these modaks (fried ones though). In later years, I saw her making steamed modaks too… Last year when I didn’t have an option of asking her to make some for my Ganesha too, I thought of trying out by myself. Called her up, asked her a recipe and here is what I did :)
They definitely didn’t come out so perfect in shape… But I was happy with the end result. I so much miss being with those lovely ladies (ManglaMausi, RekhaTai, ChitraAunty n BhartiAunty)!!! :(
1/2 cup Rice Flour
1 cup Water
1 tsp oil
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup Fresh Coconut, grated
1/2 cup Jaggery, chopped or powdered
1 tsp Cardamom Powder
1 tsp Oil
2-3 tsp Chopped Nuts
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Heat oil in a pan and add saute nuts into it.
- Add grated coconut and roast it for 2 mins and before it starts changing color, add jaggery in the pan.
- Mix everything well and cook it on medium flame until jaggery melts completely.
- When it starts forming a soft dough, turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down to room temp.
- In deep pan, mix water, oil, salt and bring it to boil.
- Add rice flour into it and stir well to make a lumpfree mixture.
- Just after mixing, take it off the heat and cover with a lid. Let it rest for 10 mins.
- Transfer the mixture to a flat greased surface and knead the dough for a while.
- Divide it in 10-12 equal portions and flatten them a bit using your palms and fingers only.
- Put a spoonful of filling in center and cover it completely from edges like kachori. Repeat the same for all modaks.
- Arrange them in a greased steam pan and steam them for about 10 mins.
- And the glossy modaks are ready for bhog to Ganpatiji!
- You can drizzle some ghee on top before servings.
- Also, you can eliminate nuts or add more in quantity!