Bhindi-Peanuts cooked in Yogurt
I have been too lazy to take my camera in hand and click the pics of the dishes I cook!!! Ohh really… I haven’t had touched it since a week or so :P But it was the right time yesterday… Last week, I didn’t get fresh bhindi of good quality in store/market and so I again brought home a pack of frozen bhindi! It’s always good to have something than nothing ;)
Well, I was planning to make the routine bhindi subzi only but then suddenly I recalled that Pari had posted a new variety a few weeks back… Explored her space and found out this one! It was a combination I never tried before… Bhindi with Peanuts, cooked in yogurt gravy! I made dahi bhindi quite a few times but never added peanuts in any gravy so far. And that was the right time… I made it and then immediately tasted it. The taste was super-yum… And hubby too loved it! So super-hit for me <3
And many thanks to Pari… Her recipe made me click some pics last evening :P
Recipe Source: http://www.cookingoodfood.com/2014/06/okra-curry-with-yogurt-and-roasted.html
5 tbsp oil
2-3 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
500 gms Bhindi, cut into 1″ pieces
salt, to taste
1 tsp Lemon Juice
2 tsp Red Chilly Powder (I eliminated green chillies here)
3 tsp cumin powder
1 cup Crushed Peanuts, roasted
3/4 cup Yogurt
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash and trim bhindi and cut them into 1″ pieces. Or thaw if frozen.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds into it.
- Once it crackles, add turmeric powder and then bhindi cuts in pan. Keep the flame high and add salt, lemon juice in to it.
- Mix everything well and cook it for around 5-6 mins and then add crushed peanuts along with all the spices.
- Take it off the flame and add yogurt into it and stir for a while.
- Back on the heat and cook for around 7-8 mins.
- Serve hot with phulka roti!!!
- I eliminated green chillies from the original recipe.
- And also, I didn’t add water in here for 2 reasons:
- I used frozen okra so it already had some amount of water after thawing process.
- Wanted to keep it dry as I had another gravy for dinner!
- Pari gave a wonderful tip of adding a few drops of lemon juice prevents stickiness in bhindi.
I hv tried Peanut and Yogurt Bhindi separately not together.. sounds interesting
That is an interesting combination of ingredients, Shruti! :)
I use frozen bhindi all the time and that is my only option :( Love bhindi and love this recipe, will try it.
Peanut sounds like a great addition here! Love it Shruti!
I have two queries.My mom used to say that we should not cook after adding lemon juice.True??
And whenever i add yogurt it usually curdles.help me plz.Thx