Truly said, it’s a beauty of winter! Or I should say, a beauty of Indian Cuisine :) Every month, season, event have its own set of delicacies to be enjoyed. Quite like we make Undhiyu on Uttarayan (kite-flying day), Vrat specials during Shravan month, Aam-ras in summer etc. etc. It will take a month to prepare a complete list, I’m sure.
But from the start of winter, Gujjus (specifically, Kathiyawadis) never miss to eat any sort of ‘Vasana’ which literally means ‘winter-special healthy food-items’ :D Have tasted many varities of that zone too but out of all, ‘Adadiya’ is something we never missed out till date. I have always seen mum making a big container full of it… One, it’s healthy and second, it’s my dad’s favorite :) After marriage, I got to see the same scene at in-laws too! M-I-L and one of my aunts make it very special every year! And specially when it is prepared for hubby – a big sweet tooth owner :P And yes, this is the one made by aunt only when we visited India recently… I’m not sure when I’ll make it by myself but didn’t want to miss a chance of posting her authentic recipe this time :)
Makes: Approx 1 kg.
250 gm Urad Flour (coarse)
400 gm Ghee
1/4 cup Milk
100 gm Edible Gum
400 gm Sugar
1/2 cup Mixed Nuts
2 tsp Poppy Seeds
1 tbsp Dry Ginger Powder
1 tbsp Pepper Root Powder (Ganthoda)
50 gm Dessicated Coconut
1 tsp Cardamom Powder
1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Mix ghee (300 gm) and milk in a big bowl. Add urad flour in it and mix with your palms until well combined. Let it rest for an hour or so.
- Sieve the mixture twice and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a thick-bottom pan and fry edible gum until puffed up and golden brown in color.
- In the same pan, fry nuts too and keep aside.
- Next comes, the urad flour mixture. Add it to the same pan and roast it until it starts changing color and becomes crisp.
- Make sugar syrup of 1.5 string consistency and add nuts along with all other ingredients.
- Keep the heat medium. Mix everything well and lastly add roasted flour. Keep stirring it on fast pace.
- Once it becomes lumpy, transfer to a greased plate.
- After half hour, cut it into pieces or make triangles with your fingers.
- Serving one piece every morning keeps you healthy!!! :)