Do you remember what dish you got to learn 1st in the kitchen? I certainly do… I started my culinary journey with roti at the age of 5-6 :) I always loved process of rolling them out, I still do!!!
Taking a dough ball from mum and sitting on floor with my little rolling set to make a small roti, is the fondest memory of childhood time that I have! No matter what country I shape on my dough ball, mum used to cook that for me :P And later, when I was in primary school, 1st subzi I got to learn was ‘Jeera Aloo’, the simplest of all :) Even today, I love making it often… After all, I’m a big-time potato lover!!!
A few days back, I thought of cooking comfort food for dinner and ‘Jeera Aloo’ was the 1st thing that came across my mind… Had a super-duper dinner for sure, quite simple though! But I was more in recollecting those childhood memories and that made our dinner more special… :)
2 Big Potatoes
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
A pinch of Hing
1 tbsp Oil
Salt, to taste
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Lemon Juice
Coriander Leaves, to serve
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Boil and peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Once it stops crackling, add hing and cubed potatoes in it.
- Add salt-spices and give a quick mix.
- Cook for nearly 3-4 mins and turn off the heat.
- Pour lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
- This goes the best with phulka roti, but I was in mood of having thepla that day :P
- You can use 1 chopped green chilly to replace red chilly powder.
- Also, eliminate turmeric powder and hing to make a ‘Vrat Special’ version!!!