‘Malai Kofta’ & ME!!! :( Grrrrr… Never… Naah, never ever! As you know, I don’t much like sweets and a big NO-NO when it comes to be a sweet gravy/curry.
Back in India, if you go some North-Indian restaurant, you’ll find a special category of gravies with kofta i.e. Paneer, Cheese, Nargisi, Shahi n of course, Malai Kofta… And here, I’ll have to end up ordering ‘Malai Kofta’ only as that’s the only kofta gravy in menu… 2nd reason, hubby loves it! I adjust somehow with strong flavors of Garlic-Naan though ;)
A few days back, I wanted to try something that I never made before… n so I planned to make this mild-sweet, yet rich gravy! I must say, I’m gonna make it often in-house rather than ordering it in some restaurant, as this was much much much better than what we get here at fine Indian restaurant… :)
1/2 tsp Ginger, grated
1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
2 tsp + 1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Melon Seeds
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Kasoori Methi
1/4 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tbsp Full Cream
Salt, to taste
1 Potato, boiled
1 tbsp Cashewnut Powder
4-5 Cashewnuts (or combo with raisins, if you like)
2 tsp Cornflour
1 tbsp Breadcrumbs
Salt, to taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add roughly chopped tomato n onion cubes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder in it and cook for 8-10 mins (or until tomatoes are mushy).
- Cool it down to room temp and soak cashewnuts, melon seeds in hot water for 1-2 mins.
- Grind them with cooked onion-tomatoes and make a smooth silky paste.
- Take all the ingredients (except cornflour) of kofta in a bowl and mix everything well.
- Make lemon-sized balls out of it and roll them in cornflour lightly.
- Heat paniyaram pan and add a few drops of oil in each mould.
- Arrange these koftas in it and shallow-fry until golden brown completely.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in deep kadai and add prepared paste along with all the spices.
- As it is cooked previously, add cream after 1-2 mins, give a quick stir and turn off the heat.
- Add koftas in gravy, coat them completely and serve hot with garlic naan!
- It’s a bit lengthy process, but result is just too good!
- In case if you want to skip cream, you can add 1/2 cup Milk instead.