Makai na Vada
Was lost in memories…
A ritual celebration of ‘Raandhan Chhath’ comes to be unique for me every year! It’s a day before season of vrat starts ;) A day when you get to cook n eat a bunch of delicacies on a single day!!! It’s officially a ‘Cook-Off’ time for every Hindu ladies ;)
My mum too used to cook so many things on this day… as we prefer cooking no food on the next day n eat only what is prepared on previous day! Every year, I enjoyed adding new items in the list for mum to make :P
I definitely don’t prefer to have stale food even if it’s in perfect condition! But this day is exception forever…
I still rememeber that evening when my mum was in dilemma whether to make bajri (millet flour) na vada or makai na vada to store for on-the-go biting!!! I had bajri ones many a times before, but never got to have makai na vada… So I insisted her to go with makai one. She made it but in very small quantity…
And when it was ready to go in air-tight container, I grabbed a few n kept munching… Got them one more time from container… n Bang!!! It was all done… Mum found it empty just within 2-3 hours :P
I missed having those vadas, which she used to make for me :( But I gave it a try on the same day… n the outcome was just wow!!!
1 cup Maize Flour (Yellow cornmeal)
2-3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
2 tbsp Curd
2 tsp Sugar
½ tsp Red Chilly Powder
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
1/8 tsp Baking Soda
Salt, to taste
Water, as required
Oil, to deep-fry
– Take all the ingredients (except baking soda) in a big mixing bowl.
– Mix everything well to make a hard batter by adding water as required.
– Cover with a cling wrap and keep it aside for half hour. Add baking soda and give a quick whisk to the batter.
– Heat oil in a deep-frying pan.
– Apply water on both your palms and take a spoonful of batter to form a tikki shape.
– Slide it carefully in pan and repeat the same process for 4-5 tikkis in one batch.
– Deep fry till golden brown and crisp on both the sides.
– Take them out on a crumpled kitchen towel.
– Serve hot or stored with a cuppa tea!!!