Moong Sprouts Usal
A first sight in any Asian Stir-fried dish usually include Moong Sprouts lending nutty flavors n crisp texture to the dish! I used to wonder if I can make the same long, big n thick sprouts ever in-house! When I didn’t know the technique, I found it tedious task to do!!! But when I tried it for the first time, I felt like a child who recently discovered a secret path to cookies jar :P
I had a very popular Maharastrian dish – Usal, a long time back at my sister-in-law’s place… It authentically is prepared using matki or moth beans! But I felt like making it with my moong sprouts for a change in taste. I kept them slightly under-cooked to retain its crunchiness but you can cook it for some more time according to your preference!!!
Makes: 3-4 servings
2 cup Moong Sprouts
1 Chopped Onion (medium)
1 Green Chilly (finely chopped)
1 tbsp Tomato Puree
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Goda Masala
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder (optional)
1 tsp Sugar
Salt, to taste
2 tsp Cooking Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
A pinch of Hing
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
– Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds into it. Once it splutters, add cumin seeds and hing as well.
– Once they start sizzling, add chopped green chillies and ginger-garlic paste into it and saute for a while.
– Mix chopped onions and cook it for a min till onions become translucent.
– Add moong sprouts into it along with tomato puree and all the dry spices with sugar. Mix everything well.
– Cook it covered for around 3-4 mins and turn off the heat.
– Add lemon juice over it and mix well.
– Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with phulka roti or rice :)
– If you have a left-over Usal – Add chopped tomatoes, your favorite chutney, sev and a dash of chat masala!!! Enjoy it as a chat… :)
– Here is a recipe link to make moong sprouts at home:
Linking this dish to Arthi’s Curries n Gravies Event: