While working on my pictorial recipe-index, I wondered why I hadn’t posted my childhood favorite breakfast so far??!!! I remember my mum feeding me with delicious ‘Vegetable Upma’ when I used to be a picky eater :P I never was interested in seeing how does she make it… And I never even tried to replicate it by myself…
A few weeks back, I thought of making it on a fine weekend morning! And we absolutely loved the change in breakfast/brunch… As always, I kept my words to make & serve different breakfast/brunch every weekend :) Here you go with my recipe…
3/4 cup roasted Semolina
2 tsp Chana Dal
2 tsp Urad Dal
2-3 tbsp Chopped Onion
1/4 Tomato, chopped
1 Green Chilly, finely chopped
A fistful of Green Peas, boiled
1/2 Carrot, boiled & chopped
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tbsp Oil
1-2 tsp Sugar (as per your taste)
Salt, to taste
2 cups Water
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once it stops spluttering, add chana dal and urad dal along with cumin seeds.
- Once dals start changing color, add chopped onions, green chilly, boiled peas, tomatoes n carrots into it and saute it for a min or 2.
- Add water, salt and sugar and bring it to boil.
- Now keep the heat low and add semolina gradually in the pan (2-3 spoons at a time), stirring it continuously to avoid lumps.
- Once it starts absorbing water, cook it for 2-3 mins more. Add a few tbsp water if required to keep it moist.
- Serve hot with a cup of tea!!!
- Keep an eye on the texture of upma! I love it a bit sticky and mouldable, so I didn’t let it go dry at all :)
- You can also use curry leaves here.