Quick-fix Khasta Kachori
A few weeks back, hubby bought a packet of ‘Masala Moong Dal‘ from Indian store. Whenever we had, it was simply salted Moong Dal and this time it was obviously different in taste. He didn’t like it much… I wanted to get rid of it at the earliest. Planned to make kachori and that too using this mixture :D Added some spices and cooked it a little bit.
Bingo… It came out very well! Just too good to munch… Crisp, Spicy, Tangy – in short, all in one :) Also, we made kachori chat out of it and enjoyed twice! Isn’t it a great thing to make something out of something that don’t like :P
1/2 cup Plain Flour
1/2 cup Wheat Flour
1 tbsp Ghee
Salt, to taste
Chilled Water, as required
1 cup Masala Moong Dal
1/2 tsp Dry Mango Powder (Amchoor)
A pinch of Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Ginger-Green chillies paste
2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
A pinch of hing
1 tbsp Coriander Leaves, chopped
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds in it. Once it crackles, add hing and ginger-chilly paste. Saute it for a while.
- Add rest of all ingredients and mix everything well.
- Cook for 2 mins and allow it to cool down to room temp.
- Mix flour with salt, ghee (clarified butter) and combine using your palms to form crumbles.
- Knead a stiff dough by adding chilled water as required.
- Cover with a cling wrap and let it rest for half hour. And then divide it in 5-6 equal portions.
- Roll them out puri-size and put a portion of stuffing in center. Cover like a kachori and roll it out again (approx 6″ in diameter).
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry one by one on low flame. Turn once in between and fry until golden brown, crisp on both sides.
- Transfer to a kitchen towel and once cooled down, store in an air-tight container.
- You can add yogurt, Green Chutney, Tangy Chutney, Namkeen Sev, chopped onions, chat masala to make a chaat dish :)
- Also, if you’re willing to make it without ready-to-eat packet, here is a trick: Wash and soak yellow moong dal in hot water for 2-3 hours. Cook for 1 whistle in pressure-cooker and drain water. It’s ready to use but make sure you double the amount of all other ingredients of stuffing here!!!