‘Okra’ is always my 1st pick for experiments! I simply love these tender yet firm pods… And when I get whole baby okra, I go mad with happiness!!! Of course, everyone in my family too loves it so I got to eat various dishes cooked with okra :)
Have already tried enough of subzis/curries using it, but to give a new touch to my baby okra, I planned making ‘Bhindi-do-Pyaza’!!! Name itself denotes that onions are double than quantity of okra :P Or that’s how I understand it… Hubby loves whatever I cook out of it, mostly (excluding 1-2 disasters) so a new avatar of bhindi wasn’t going to fail for sure :P Really a simple to cook dish, which came out extra-ordinarily well!!!
250 gm Baby Okra
1 Onion, thinly sliced
1/2 Tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
1 tsp Amchoor Powder
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt, to taste
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Ajwain
A pinch of Hing
2 tbsp Oil
Coriander Leaves, chopped
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Wash and trim baby okra. Microwave it on high for 4-5 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, ajwain and hing.
- Once it crackles, add garlic paste along with sliced onions. Saute it for a while.
- Add tomatoes along with all the spices and mix everything well.
- Mix in pre-cooked okra and give a quick toss.
- Cook for nearly 6-7 mins and turn off the heat.
- Pour lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
- I microwaved baby okra not to loose its texture, as I used frozen ones. You simply can cook for 10 mins in pan only.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste. You can use lemon juice instead of amchoor as well!